Sunday, October 17, 2010

Random Junk about Twins

Before I had twins or even found out I was pregnant with twins I admit I was fascinated about twins specifically identical twins. There were four sets of identical twins in my high school at one time and seeing them in the hallways at various times wearing different times had people turning their heads. I do remember one set named Tracie and Stacie--something I was not going to repeat with my two. We did have a family member suggest Krista and Trista and we nixed that idea real quick.

I had a couple of twin comments recently that make me chuckle and also want to slap my forehead at the same time. My family and I are used to the stares and comments from the public when we go out in public. Sometimes its fine, sometimes its very annoying. People want to stop and stare and say dos bebe?? And then they say same same? I'm guessing they mean twin and I say si and get doble which I know means double. Then the older lady, its always an older grandma type, tries to love on them and say mommas.....mommas so sweet. And I know this is way out of left field, but I just love going to the doctors office and hearing Kreesta and Keendra Gillies. No joke. We hear that every doctors office in El Paso.

Back to my regular talk about twins. Having twins is different than having one. Its an adventure and a nightmare every day. Krista and Kendra must have this twin talk every morning on who is going to be the nightmare twin. Its a surprise every morning to see who wakes up in a good mood. Lately Krista has been the happy smiley one who has a good day. Kendra not so much. She steals her sisters juice cup and cries easily. But give it two weeks and the two will switch rolls.

For your enjoyment a little insight on how the twins act:

1. Krista is the bossy twin. She takes things from her sister and Kendra just lets it go. Krista is notorious for taking toys and Kendra just lets her.

2. Kendra is more talkative. We can say something to her and she repeats what you say. Krista follows her sisters lead and does what she does roughly 2 weeks later.

3. They have to sleep next to or near each other. That is a given that even the hourly daycare workers have caught on to. Total breakdown broke out when the twins were separated at naptime.

4. Krista is the bossy twin, Kendra is the mellow twin. They work well together. Krista has to see her sister when their at daycare especially.

5. They both love to eat....but never seem to gain weight. They both weigh around 23 pounds and wear a size 12 months in jeans. Almost 2 and wear 12 month jeans. Nice huh?

6. Kendra likes fruit more than Krista and Krista tends to eat veggies more. They like to swap food.

7. Krista tends to break down faster when she's overwhelmed than Kendra does. Krista will suck her fingers(number 5 on left hand and 4 on right hand) to comfort herself. Kendra will go to her sister when she sees she's stressed. We call it 5 and 9 here at home.

8.Krista is a huge cuddler and Kendra is not. Krista is actually drawn to momma more with Kendra favoring big sis Eryn.

So thats my random stuff about twins. I love having twins since their is never a dull moment with these two. They fight, they irritate each other, but yet that can't live without the other.

I am actually writing a book to the girls to be given to them when they turn 21. Its a mix of the trials and problems we went through with them being TTTS twins. TTTS is a very rare condition that affects identical twins. Its actually an interesting read.

Love from Texas,

Terra

2 comments:

  1. TTTS is twin to twin tramission syndrome. It affects identical twins when the placenta they share is not equally distributed with the twins.


    Here is a better pic that shows what happens. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.med.umich.edu/fdtc/images/art_ttts.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.med.umich.edu/fdtc/diagnoses/fetal_diagnoses/twin_complications/ttts.shtml&h=612&w=504&sz=73&tbnid=woFxCVc15a0AEM:&tbnh=136&tbnw=112&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpics%2Bof%2BTTTS&zoom=1&q=pics+of+TTTS&usg=__p_MeuJb0EJrHb168htbThnTQVHg=&sa=X&ei=gvm7TLi0C8P_lgfjqOS4Cg&ved=0CB4Q9QEwAw

    ReplyDelete